Patient Service Specialist
New Mexico Orthopaedic Associates (NMOA) has been serving the Albuquerque community for over 35 years and is the largest specialty clinic in the Southwest. NMOA is a fast-paced, high tech and patient-centered practice providing exceptional care for every patient, every day.
Come join us in our beautiful NEW Winrock clinic location!
New Mexico Orthopaedic Associates (NMOA) has been serving the Albuquerque community for over 35 years and is the largest specialty clinic in the Southwest. NMOA is a fast-paced, high tech and patient-centered practice providing exceptional care for every patient every day.
The Patient Service Specialist is the first point of contact and provides an exceptional experience for patients, families and visitors. Under the supervision of the Front Desk Supervisor, welcomes individuals entering the facility and assists with way finding while focusing on providing a positive patient/customer experience. The position supports all front desk responsibilities including registration and scheduling functions; check-in, check-out, collecting payments, scheduling, verifying insurance and patient information.
- Welcomes patients and visitors as they enter the front lobby. Directs individuals to the appropriate service area. Issue and collect visitor’s badges as per NMO protocol.
- Assists with patient inquiries and proactively obtains resolution of concerns; notify applicable personnel to assist in resolving concerns as needed.
- Report any concern that may create a safety issue.
- Monitor and maintain the lobby waiting areas for cleanliness.
- Registers patients with accuracy and completeness.
- Schedule patient appointments according to guidelines.
- Works well in a team-oriented environment and fosters teamwork with peers, co-workers, and management.
- Supports all department initiatives to improve the patient experience.
- Adheres to company policies as described in employment handbook, company work rules and departmental policy and procedure, and attends scheduled meetings, as required.
- Identifies and participates in implementation of opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policies.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Perform other specific tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology, coding, eligibility and prior authorization knowledge and office procedures
- Strong computer and phone skills; including but not limited to: spreadsheets, word documents, Internet and email
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with physicians, managers, employees, patients, vendors and the public
- Ability to successfully communicate with others both in person and over the phone
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical information, technical procedures and/or general business information
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions and correct errors
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in a variety of forms and deal with abstract and concrete variables
- Exhibit an understanding of healthcare regulatory and compliance policy (e.g. HIPAA) as it relates to a medical clinic environment
- Exhibit working knowledge of the clinic policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks effectively and efficiently while maintaining a professional, courteous manner
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information
- Exhibit patience in high stress situations and handle confrontations with poise and efficiency
- Must be highly organized, timely and thorough
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence others, including handling confrontations with poise and efficiency
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, co-workers, patients and management team.
- Knowledge of New Mexico Orthopaedics policies and procedures and healthcare regulatory and compliance policies
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English. Ability to understand and speak Spanish preferred.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages
- Travel to other sites may be required
- May be assigned to or transferred to any clinic location, depending upon business need
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED required; Associate Degree preferred. Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience; medical practice experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate controlled clinic environment. Fast-paced medical office environment involving contact and interaction with patients, physicians, and other clinical and clerical personnel. Conditions common to a clinic environment include but are not limited to communicable disease, blood borne pathogens, bodily fluids and toxic substances.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time