Patient Care Assistant (Roomer/Scheduler)
Under the direction of the Patient Services Supervisor, the Patient Care Assistant (Roomer/ Scheduler) is responsible for greeting, rooming, and preparing the patient before seeing the provider. This position is also responsible for scheduling follow-up appointments, establishing a good rapport with the patient to facilitate a positive interaction and ensuring the patient feels welcome by engaging the patient in a warm and welcoming fashion.
Maintains optimum patient flow by keeping exam rooms occupied with patients for office visits.
- Prepares examination rooms for patient visits, including cleaning, sterilizing, and stocking supplies.
- Escorts patients to exam rooms and assists in obtaining pertinent information, which may include obtaining vital signs, weight, height, health history, and symptoms.
- May assist with instrument handling and exam/procedure preparation.
- Dispense durable medical equipment as needed.
- Disposes of biohazardous wastes according to OSHA standards.
- Cleans, disinfects and/or sterilizes instruments and equipment following safety and OSHA standards.
- Utilizes CPS electronic medical record (EMR) system to facilitate patient workflow.
- Documents patient information into their EMR chart, including current medications, reasons for the visit, and patient vitals.
- Based on need and direction, provides patients with written department visit policies, HIPAA Rights, medical literature, etc.
- Provides office coverage during vacations, absences, and/or breaks and lunches.
- Answers telephones and takes appropriate messages.
- Perform clinical checkout functions.
- Schedule PT, OT, MRI, and follow-up appointments.
- Compile and disburse surgery packets.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient account information in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policy.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
Exceptional customer service skills
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology, coding, eligibility and prior authorization knowledge and office procedures
- Strong computer and phone skills; including but not limited to: spreadsheets, word documents, Internet and email
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with physicians, managers, employees, patients, vendors and the public
- Ability to successfully communicate with others both in person and over the phone
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical information, technical procedures and/or general business information
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions and correct errors
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in a variety of forms and deal with abstract and concrete variables
- Exhibit an understanding of healthcare regulatory and compliance policy (e.g. HIPAA) as it relates to a medical clinic environment
- Exhibit working knowledge of the clinic policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks effectively and efficiently while maintaining a professional, courteous manner.
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information.
- Exhibit patience in high stress situations and handle confrontations with poise and efficiency
- Must be highly organized, timely and thorough.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence others, including handling confrontations with poise and efficiency.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, co-workers, patients and management team.
- Knowledge of New Mexico Orthopaedics policies and procedures and healthcare regulatory and compliance policies
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English. Ability to understand and speak Spanish preferred.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Travel to other sites may be required.
- May be assigned to various providers and clinics, depending upon business needs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED required; Minimum of one (1) year of experience in the healthcare field is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
Activities include holding, carrying, pushing, transferring, and pulling of objects and people, safely. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; or smell. The employee must be able to safely lift and/or move a minimum of 50 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in a well-lit, ventilated and climate-controlled clinic environment. Fast-paced medical office environment involving contact and interaction with patients, physicians, and other clinical and clerical personnel. Conditions common to a clinic environment include but are not limited to communicable disease, blood borne pathogens, bodily fluids and toxic substances.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position is a safety-sensitive position. The use of marijuana is prohibited. Impairment by drugs or alcohol is also prohibited.
Job Status: Full Time