Health Information Technician
The Health Information Technician ensures the quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security of electronic health information. The Technician will maintain, collect, and organize health information so that it may be utilized in the clinic setting as well as for insurance reimbursement, databases and registries, and research. The Technician will also assist with the DME Store functions.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Protecting the security of health information to ensure that confidentiality is maintained and all health information is managed in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and accrediting agencies' requirements
- Reviewing records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations
- Electronically record data for collection, storage, analysis, retrieval, and reporting
- Resolving or clarifying information with conflicting, missing, or unclear information by consulting with clinical staff or other appropriate staff.
- Entering data, such as Service Providers, Referring Physicians, Pharmacies, etc. into the EMR
- Identify opportunities that can improve efficiency of business processes and support Health Information Systems strategy
- Provide support to the clinical staff for various software systems, to include electronic medical record and web portal systems. Support to include new employee training, re-training, onsite and/or online technical assistance, create/edit/upgrade training documentation, maintenance of training records, and other related tasks as assigned.
- Plan, develop, maintain, or operate a variety of health record indexes or storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, or analyze information.
- Prioritize release of information requests, retrieves medical records from active and inactive medical record sets, while ensuing the requesting party has a legal right to request a patient’s medical information.
- Responsible for opening and closing the DME store at the designated times.
- Collect payment for purchases for the DME store.
- Receives patient orders for the DME store from different sources, documenting all necessary information.
- Maintains the appearance of the DME store when necessary, i.e., vacuums, dusts, empties trash, etc.
- Assists with data entry and filing when needed for the DME store.
- Greets and waits on customers, both phone and walk-in.
- Handles customer inquiries and complaints. Follows through to completion.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient account information in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policy.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with physicians, managers, employees, patients, vendors and the general public.
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and correct errors.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in a variety of forms and deal with abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to create step by step process flows for various technology systems.
- Exhibit an understanding of healthcare regulatory and compliance policy (e.g., HIPAA) as it relates to a medical clinic environment.
- Exhibit working knowledge of the clinic policies and procedures.
- Must be able to handle multiple, simultaneous tasks and personalities effectively and efficiently while maintaining a professional, courteous manner.
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Exhibit a high level of attention to detail
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED and two years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. An Associate’s degree is preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Certified Associate in Healthcare Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS) is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate controlled clinic/office environment with routine office and/or medical equipment; some equipment has moving mechanical parts.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time