The Certified Coder assigns the proper ICD-9, ICD 10 and CPT codes to every encounter according to the coding guidelines as well as the internal Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for researching all the information to verify the correct assignment of ICD-9, ICD-10 and CPT codes.
- Keys clinical charges and payment information into billing system.
- Reconciles all unposted charge slips at the end of each day and also at the end of month.
- Assists with answering calls regarding coding and pricing of clinic charges and provides any information requested.
- Assure excellent customer service through continuous training.
- Meets expectations/deadlines for month end closing.
- Adheres to company policies and procedures as described in employment handbook and company work rules
- Maintains strict confidentially in accordance with NMOA and HIPAA guidelines
- Plans for professional growth and continuous development through participation in professional seminars, workshops, and affiliations keeping abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Regular and reliable attendance required as well as attendance at NMOA meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English. Ability to understand and speak Spanish preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical information, technical procedures and/or general business information.
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with managers, employees, patients, vendors and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Exhibit understanding of healthcare regulatory and compliance policy (e.g., HIPAA).
- Knowledge of New Mexico Orthopaedics policies and procedures.
- Requires ability to identify and implement opportunities to improve performance of the department.
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information.
- Proficient computer skills (including, but not limited to spreadsheets, word documents, Internet and email) required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including early mornings, evenings and/or weekends.
- May be assigned to or transferred to any clinic location, depending upon business need.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED and minimum of 6 months experience as a coder required. Experience may be actual work experience or internships for recent coder graduates. Experience with an encoder and EMR preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must have any one of the following coding certifications at the time of hire: CCS, CPC, CPC-A, CPC-H, RHIT, RHIA, and CCS-P, COSC or achievement of one of the coding credentials within one year of hire.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate controlled office environment with routine office equipment; some equipment has moving mechanical parts.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time