Account Representative/Collection Specialist
Responsible for collections of outstanding accounts receivable, resolving customer billing problems and reducing accounts receivable delinquency.
- Review of all assigned outstanding charges in AR and maintain aged receivables within established benchmarks.
- Performs insurance claim follow-up through completion and identifies delinquent accounts.
- Thorough working knowledge of both paper and electronic billing processes
- Handles correspondence related to insurance or patient account, contacting insurance carriers, patients and other facilities as needed to get maximum payment on accounts.
- Reviews Explanation of Benefits and files claim appeals as needed.
- Assists with patient inquiries regarding account and payment arrangements.
- Meets all expectations / deadlines for month end closing.
- Participates in educational activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and opportunities.
- Attends staff meetings and others as required.
- Adheres to company policies as described in employment handbook and company work rules.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policy.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current basic medical terminology.
- Knowledge of current coding, billing and payment posting policies and procedures.
- Typing speed at 35 wpm / 10-key by touch
- Proficient user in MS Word, Excel & Outlook
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English. Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, co-workers, patients and vendors.
- Must maintain professional demeanor and appearance.
- Must be able to prioritize assignments, follow up to ensure task completion, and manage multiple projects.
- Accuracy, patience and timeliness a must.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate’s degree from accredited college or university is preferred; minimum one-year insurance experience in medical billing or accounts receivable; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AMD WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate controlled office environment with routine office equipment; some equipment has moving mechanical parts.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time