Under the direction of the Director of Revenue Cycle Management, the Coding Supervisor ensures New Mexico Orthopaedics’ non-clinical quality and service quality are in alignment with practice objectives and the strategic plan. Ensures smooth daily operations and quality customer service is provided within the central billing office comprised of Coder I and Coder II staff.
Working with the Director of Revenue Cycle Management, effectively organize, prioritize, and delegate the workload of the coding staff to include efficient and correct processing of charges, coding changes, recommend updates as related to the EMR, and reconciliation.
- Maximize reimbursement while ensuring compliance with the Organization's financial goals and policies and procedures, as well as compliance with all Federal and State laws and regulatory agencies.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, patient and customer service policies.
- Responsible for and monitors productivity, charge lag, and volume using various system tools and reports. Identifies and prevents backlogs and other impediments to charge capture.
- Coordinates the training of new staff and ongoing training for current team members.
- Performs orientation and training for new providers.
- Demonstrate, inspire and develop in others an internalized understanding of NMOA’s Vision, Mission and Core Values.
- Coordinates the operations of the department to ensure appropriate cash flow, compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and patient satisfaction.
- Reviews denials and assists with claim appeals.
- Perform quality audits and provide feedback to staff.
- Perform quality audits and provide feedback to providers.
- Perform other audits as requested.
- Meets or exceeds all expectations / deadlines for month end closing.
- Provide feedback to higher level management about team members and customers on day-to-day aspects of the workflow of the department.
- Assure excellent customer service through employee training, role modeling, and mentorship.
- Participates in educational activities and in professional development activities/opportunities.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policy.
- Adheres to company policies as described in employment handbook and company work rules.
- Assure optimal team morale by maintaining regular means of communication.
- Continually develop organizational process improvements.
- Fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation within the department, between departments and with management.
- Assists in planning for and conducting daily/weekly and/or monthly meetings for staff updating on changes to assure all staff are informed.
- Regular and reliable attendance required as well as attendance at NMOA meetings including: management meetings, performance improvement meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s leadership philosophy, policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include leading by example, interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems.
Direct Reports: Coder I and Coder II staff
Indirect Reports: Administrative staff as applicable
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English.
- Ability to successfully write reports, business correspondence and policy.
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with managers, employees, clients, vendors and the general public.
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and correct errors.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in a variety of forms and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of business office procedures and best practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency in practice management and electronic medical record tools with strong problem solving skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to successfully work with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with evolving priorities.
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence and lead others, including handling confrontations with poise and efficiency.
- Customer service ability to anticipate, recognize, and meet the needs of patients and their families.
- Proficient computer skills (including, but not limited to spreadsheets, word documents, Internet and email) required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED required; Associates Degree preferred. Minimum of three (3) years of directly related experience, one (1) of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Certification in at least one of the following: RCC, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, RHIA, or RHIT. Certified Professional Coder (CPC) highly desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate-controlled office environment with routine office equipment; some equipment has moving mechanical parts.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time