Under the supervision of the Front Desk Supervisor, this position supports all front desk responsibilities and is responsible for the performance of all patient registration functions including, but not limited to, greeting patients, patient check-in, verifying patient demographics and other pertinent information, collecting payments, secondary and follow up scheduling, managing cancellation/wait lists, and accurate completion of daily payment batches, per company protocol.
- Supports the Front Desk Supervisor and Front Desk Lead in accordance with the company's leadership philosophy, policies and applicable guidelines.
- Works well in a team-oriented environment and fosters teamwork with peers, co-workers, and management
- Supports all department initiatives to improve the patient experience
- Assists with patient inquiries, complaints and notifying applicable personnel to assist in resolving problems to the patient’s satisfaction
- Perform Ancillary Scheduler functions including:
- Greets patients and explains all follow up procedures in accordance with physician orders
- Schedules, coordinates and reschedules appointments for established patients in accordance with physician orders
- Schedules physical therapy, occupational therapy and MRI scan appointments. May schedule surgery with patients and/or NMOSC, PHS, and Lovelace Health systems.
- Completes new patient intake process for patients on internal wait list for all physicians with availability outside of 90 days
- Schedules, coordinates and reschedules appointments for new patients on internal wait list for all physicians with availability outside of 90 days
- Coordinates notification of changes within CPS of all appointments or data to appropriate staff.
- Updates and maintains patient demographics, as needed
- Collects patient payments; including co-payments, self-pay costs, and payments on account balances, when necessary
- Coordinates eligibility of benefits and applicable insurance information with Pre-Certification Specialists
- Answers patient inquires, as requested
- Daily completion of payment batches; per company protocol
- Assists with, as needed, patient check in processes for all providers and lines of business; including, but not limited to:
- Greet patients and introduction of self with simple explanation of process
- Determines primary language and contacts interpreter
- Registers patients with accuracy and completeness by performing the following:
- Check patients in; notifying clinic staff of patient arrival and registration completion
- Obtains scans of patient photo ID and applicable insurance card(s)
- Ensures patient demographics are correct and up-to-date
- Verifies all referrals, including Workers Compensation approvals, are current
- Determines patient’s eligibility, coverage, and insurance limitations at a beginning level
- Answers patient inquiries, as requested
- Collects patient payments; including co-payments, self-pay costs, and payments on account balances
- Contacts new patients 24-48 hours in advance to assist in obtaining initial registration information, when necessary
- Identifies and participates in implementation of opportunities for improvement
- Adheres to monthly performance audits in conjunction with department analytics
- Maintains strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and NMOA policies
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Perform other specific tasks as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology, coding, eligibility and prior authorization knowledge and office procedures
- Strong computer and phone skills; including but not limited to: spreadsheets, word documents, Internet and email
- Excellent grammar and spelling skill
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and professionally interact with physicians, managers, employees, patients, vendors and the public
- Ability to successfully communicate with others both in person and over the phone
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical information, technical procedures and/or general business information
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions and correct errors
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in a variety of forms and deal with abstract and concrete variables
- Exhibit an understanding of healthcare regulatory and compliance policy (e.g. HIPAA) as it relates to a medical clinic environment
- Exhibit working knowledge of the clinic policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks effectively and efficiently while maintaining a professional, courteous manner
- High integrity, including maintenance of confidential information
- Exhibit patience in high stress situations and handle confrontations with poise and efficiency
- Must be highly organized, timely and thorough
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence others, including handling confrontations with poise and efficiency
- Ability to work a flexible schedule within the hours of 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, co-workers, patients and management team.
- Knowledge of New Mexico Orthopaedics policies and procedures and healthcare regulatory and compliance policies
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English. Ability to understand and speak Spanish preferred.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and percentages
- Travel to other sites may be required
- May be assigned to or transferred to any clinic location, depending upon business need
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED required; Associate Degree preferred. Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience; medical practice experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Repetitive motion of upper body required for extended use of computer. Requires vision correctable to 20/20 and hearing in the normal range for face-to-face and telephone contacts.
Works in well-lit, ventilated and climate controlled clinic environment. Fast-paced medical office environment involving contact and interaction with patients, physicians, and other clinical and clerical personnel. Conditions common to a clinic environment include but are not limited to communicable disease, blood borne pathogens, bodily fluids and toxic substances.
Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time